Compiled by Allison Askins,
• Spain is the leading producer of olives and the world’s leading producer of olive oil.
• Extra virgin olive oil is the strongest olive flavor of the four varieties of olive oil. Best used for drizzling, salad dressings, marinades, sauces, stews, soups.
• Virgin olive oil shares extra virgin olive oil’s strong flavor, but is slightly more mild. Best used for grilling, sauteing, drizzling, salad dressings, marinades, stews, soups.
• Olive oil is much milder and better suited for cooking. Best used for baking, frying, grilling, sauteing.
• Light olive oil is the mildest of the four varieties and best used for baking, frying, grilling, sauteing.
• For baking, simply substitute equal amounts of olive oil for vegetable oil.