Makes: 1 cup
* 2 cups good-quality kalamata olives, pitted
* 4 anchovies, drained
* 1/2 small garlic clove, chopped
* 1 1/2 tablespoons capers, drained
* 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 1/2 lemon, juiced
1. Place olives, anchovies, garlic and capers in a small food processor. Process until mixture is almost smooth.
2. With the motor running, slowly add 2 tablespoons oil, in a thin steady stream, until mixture forms a thick, smooth paste (adding oil slowly prevents the tapenade from separating).
3. Transfer tapenade to a small bowl. Stir in 2 teaspoons lemon juice, or more if desired. Season with pepper.
4. Transfer to a sterilised glass jar or container and pour remaining 2 teaspoons oil over tapenade to cover surface
5. Store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Notes, tips & variations:
Green olive tapenade: Replace kalamata olives with green olives.
Tomato and olive tapenade: Reduce kalamata olives to 2/3 cup. Add 2/3 cup green olives, 1/2 cup drained semi-dried tomatoes and 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts in step 1, with the kalamata olives.