Recipe by Sarah Hobbs,
Photography by Ben Dearnley,
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
Ingredients: serves 8
- 95g (1/2 cup or 3.35 Oz) kalamata olives.
- 85g (1/2 cup or 3 Oz) Greek black mammoth olives.
- 85g (1/2 cup or 3 Oz) almond-stuffed green olives.
- 1 tbs finely chopped preserved lemon skin, flesh discarded.
- 4 fresh long red chillies, halved, deseeded.
- 1 tsp cumin seeds.
- 1 tsp coriander seeds.
- 1 tsp salt.
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped.
- 60ml (1/4 cup or 2.03 fl.Oz) olive oil.
- To make the harissa, place the chilli in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water and set aside for 10 minutes to soak. Drain and coarsely chop the chilli. Combine the cumin and coriander in a frying pan over high heat and cook for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Place the cumin and coriander in a mortar and gently pound with a pestle until crushed. Add the chilli, salt and garlic and pound until a smooth paste forms. Add the oil and stir until smooth.
- Combine the olives, lemon and harissa in a large glass or ceramic bowl. Cover and place in fridge for 6 hours or overnight to develop the flavours. Arrange in serving bowls to serve.
Notes & tips:
- Prepare this recipe 2 days ahead.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Preserved lemon is available from gourmet or specialty food stores.