Recipe by Valli Little,
Photography by Geoff Lung,
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (50g) grated parmesan
- 100g unsalted butter, chilled
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbs finely chopped fresh thyme
- 500g silverbeet leaves, chopped
- 2 eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup (250ml) thin cream
- 300g black kalamata olives, pitted, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Place flour, parmesan and butter in a food processor with a pinch of salt and process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add 3-4 tablespoons chilled water and process until pastry comes together in a smooth ball. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll out pastry on a floured board and use to line a shallow, 10cm x 34cm rectangular loose-bottomed tart pan. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place a sheet of baking paper in the tart shell, fill with raw rice or pastry weights and blind bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, remove weights and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frypan over medium heat, add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and thyme and stir for a few seconds. Add the silverbeet and cook for a further 1-2 minutes until just wilted. Remove from heat, drain off any excess liquid from pan and allow mixture to cool.
- Sit tart pan on a baking tray and fill with cooled silverbeet mixture. Beat together the eggs and cream, season with salt and pepper and pour over the filling, then scatter olives on top. Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until the filling is set. Serve warm in wedges.